Friday, May 06, 2005

I'm back!

We now have a new monitor here at Blue Ghost Towers so normal service is resumed.

When I was growing up in Cornwall, we had two really great teachers at our school, Mr and Mrs Rogerson. They taught drama, and every year we had a fantastic school play that they spent huge amounts of their spare time organising. We did A Midsummer Night's Dream and Sweet Charity, and they went out of their way to encourage us and make the occasion really special. We looked on them as friends as much as teachers, and I don't mean that in a negative, couldn't control the class sort of way. They retired last year. I was really pleased to see that their son, Dan, is now the MP for North Cornwall as of last night. Well done, Dan!

Not such a good night for Lee Rotherham, with whom I was at university, who polled a tiny 16%. But then the Tories were never going to get much of a vote in Rotherham. I remember having one or two rather drunken political disagreements in the bar of our halls of residence with Lee. We had nothing in common politically then and I doubt we've got much in common now, but it's nice to see Royal Holloway graduates cropping up in the news. At least he's trying to change things and make his mark in the world.