Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Holiday curry

No blogging for a bit as we're going on holiday as of Saturday, to Croatia for 2 weeks. So we now enter that culinary period officially known as Using Up The Last Things In The Fridge.

Tonight we will be mostly having curry made with what's left in the fridge. I'm a gourmet, me. Oh, I'm feeling generous, have the recipe!

Take 4 onions. Well, take as many onions as you need to use before you go on holiday. 4 is probably a bit much, but you could just call it a jalfrezi. Chop. Also chop as many cloves of garlic as you need to use up at the same time. Place in a pan and heat, stirring gently.

If you have three tablespoons of slightly dry salsa dip that's been hanging around since the wekend when you had friends round, you may as well bung them in too. Don't worry if you don't have any rather unsavoury-looking condiments, though.

Add liberal dashes of cumin, garam masala and coriander. The dried coriander stuff that's cheap, not the posh herby green stuff. You're not Rick Stein, you're somebody using the crap in their fridge. Your fridge, that is, not Rick Stein's. Otherwise you'd be having oysters and langoustines, or something. Not crap curry. And people like you don't have fresh coriander in their fridge. Add turmeric. You get a bit distracted while you're adding the turmeric, so it actually has quite a lot more than the average recipe would suggest. Meh. You've got cloves and cardamom pods as well, so go for the full monty, four of each. And three small green chillis too. And some salt and a chicken stock cube while you're at it. The more the merrier. Add water. How much water? Well, until it looks about right to you.

Reach deep into the cupboard and find the last of the potatoes you bought a couple of weeks ago. Cut off the sprouting bits. Peel them, cut into pieces an inch across, and add to the pot. Simmer for 10 minutes and then add 3 courgettes, finely sliced.

You may not have three courgettes, in which case any spare vegetables will do, unless they are something completely unexotic like turnips or cabbage. Simmer for a further 10 minutes.

Add the slightly dry remains of your three day old roast chicken. Simmer for a further 10 minutes.

Serve with rice, and look forward to your holiday.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be careful though. You should start your left-over curry much much earlier. For the last day of eating before the holiday have a simple meal like bread & cheese. You don't want a dicky tummy on a long haul to Croatia!

9:36 am  
Blogger Misty said...

That's my dinner plans for tonight sorted then :) Thanks!

And hope you have a wonderful, relaxing holiday!

11:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen Asparagus this BIG
They grow up to 15in long and 2in wide.
general gardening

1:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Blog about cheap portable dvd players. I also have a Blog/Website about cheap portable dvd players which is why I enjoyed this blog so much. Keep up the excellent work! Check out my site if you have a moment.

2:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strangeblueghost this is great!
It's funny how I was looking for this type of thing and found your post: Holiday curry. It pulled me right out of my research on sports rash guards products and allowed me to sit down for a nice read. Thanks for your great job Strangeblueghost. I think I'll hang out on your blog for a while and be done with sports rash guards stuff for now. Have a good day Strangeblueghost.

6:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Strangeblueghost,
Just to give you a heads up, you're probably going to get some more comments from my family on this post: Holiday curry. I found you when I was out looking for surfing rashguards product info, and even though this doesn't relate to surfing rashguards, I still had to stop and tell you that you're doing a great job. You're about to get some visits from my brother and sister. I told them about your blog so I hope you don't mind.

6:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Strangeblueghost,
I have to say that your blog hits the spot!
I was out looking for information on womens rash guards but found your post: Holiday curry to be far more interesting than what I was looking for. Quite a good job you're doing on your site here... I'm thinking about making a blog about womens rash guards I want to make it look like yours here. If you have any tips or secrets maybe you could share :)

It was great to visit your blog, thanks.

12:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Strangeblueghost,
Just to give you a heads up, you're probably going to get some more comments from my family on this post: Holiday curry. I found you when I was out looking for rash guards product info, and even though this doesn't relate to rash guards, I still had to stop and tell you that you're doing a great job. You're about to get some visits from my brother and sister. I told them about your blog so I hope you don't mind.

4:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site...
» »

2:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on!
american society of plastic surgery plastic surgeons miami areola reduction Browser-based online games cellular phone verizon cell phone Locking server cabinets Fire alarm pros Lipitor and muscle ache Reverse orgy Ambien in canada State property coats plastic surgery plastic surgeons

3:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home