Friday, September 30, 2005

No inspiration

It's that time of year again, when Autumn draws in and we all want to curl up on hot buttered toast, munching fire and staring at a roaring sofa, and, more importantly, it's the Halloween story competition at my local writers' circle. I always enter something, but I use it as a chance to write something new, rather than take along something from my archives.

This year, though, I'm stumped. I just can't seem to think of anything that would make a basis for a supernatural, or scary, story. So I tried a writing exercise that was once recommended to me, whereby I took a short walk and tried to spot three things or people that could form the basis for a story. And so, this lunchtime, I headed for Teddington High Street to see what I could find...

This normally works for me, seeing an unusual sign, or a face, or something in a shop. I tried the charity shops; always good for quirky little things that look as if they might have some sort of history. There were some remarkably unpleasant jumpers, a plastic owl, and a selection of badly framed rural scenes which looked as if they had come from a particularly scuzzy pub.

On to Tesco. I searched people's faces. Was there anybody who looked as if they might be harbouring a secret, or who could be a reincarnation of a Mongol warlord, or somebody planning a weekend of nefarious deeds? They all looked as if they were harbouring an urge to buy carrots, and were planning a weekend in Ikea.

So I'm still no further foward. Answers on a postcard please...

4 Comments:

Blogger Misty said...

Buying carrots and going to Ikea sounds sinister to me...

Have you tried your local pub for inspiration yet?

11:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tried that, just people talking about when their Ikea furniture was due to be delivered...

7:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info transvestite xxx magazines http://www.san-francisco-hotels-6.info/Camping_with_disabilities.html Dawn lewis sex pictures dabgers of mesotherapy during pregnancy Gay lesbian archives amsterdam

1:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »

5:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home