Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Who's for icecream?

I found this disturbing story in the news this week. Awful. They're taking away part of our childhood Summers.

Who can forget the smell of new-mown grass, the call of the cuckoo, and the tone-deaf jingle jangle of the icecream van, followed by childish yells and giggles, the running of little feet towards that shrine of Mr Whippy, and the squealing of brakes, followed by that dull thud, and sinister squish...

Sorry.

Anyway, it got me remembering all those lovely lollies that I haven't tasted for years. Fab, with its chocolate sprinkled with hundreds and thousands. Zoom, in the shape of a rocket. And my favoured choice: a Cider Barrel. At the age of 7 or 8, I thought this made me look sophisticated. I thought I was drinking something close to cider. In fact, I was not imbibing a lovingly matured, historically famous alcoholic drink. I was eating a blend of sugar, water, fruit juice and chemicals very far removed from anything that you'd want to order in a pub. Unless any of my readers are under the age of about 23, and grew up in the age of alcopops, Breezers and the like, in which case that's exactly what you would order in a pub. Boy, are you missing out! Red wine, whisky...

What about a campaign to save the icecream van?Instead of Greenpeace Greensleeves (one of the two most popular van chimes). Instead of Scope, Scoop!

1 Comments:

Blogger Misty said...

I read about this. Very sad. Also rather daft. According to reports, the children of today are too unfit to chase an ice cream van in the first place, so what's the problem? They'll never get close enough to buy the lollies...

9:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home